Tuesday, November 30, 2010

BLESSINGS BOOMERANG





As we slip deeper and deeper into winter I am reminded of a visit I made years ago to a wood stove manufacturer in Orting Washington. The owner was an older man with a gentle manner and hands like leather from years of working his business. It was cold the day I came so as we talked about a fireplace insert for my home we sat in chairs beside a potbelly stove. He offered me a cup of coffee brewed in a percolator atop the old stove. "Fresh pot", he said.
He patiently explained how the insert would work and because our home was built in 1904 he could make it look like the period and not "modern". (A word he spoke with disdain.) I am sure I spent much more time than was necessary with him that day but it was time well spent.
As I left I noticed a sign on the wall above his desk, it read "BLESSINGS BOMMERANG" . I paused and asked about it. "Have you always found that to be true?" He replied, "Yup...always."
Wisdom, like beauty is all around us, if we notice, This winter as I log on to my computer to comparison shop on Amazon I think of those days and wonder at what we have gained and what we have lost.
While we can't go back. the truth of his sign remains,,,"BLESSING BOMMERANG"...We may not have a potbelly stove...or a percolator...but we can be a BLESSiING to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment